How to Prepare for Engagement Photos: What to Wear
- Bring at least 2 comfortable, fitted outfits that reflect your personalities – one dressy option and one casual, everyday option. Want something extra special? Check out the selection of dresses and jewelry on Rent the Runway!
- Finalize your clothing choices before the day of your engagement session, you don’t want to be scrambling around 30 minutes before your session time cursing at your favorite jeans for being dirty.
- Do a test run of your outfits – put them on to make sure that they fit, look good together, and that no big stain or hole has reared its ugly head.
- Coordinate outfits, but don’t fully match. Match the type of dress (casual with casual, dressy with dressy) and avoid matching head-to-toe, it didn’t work for Britney Spears and Justin Timberlake so it won’t work for us commoners either.
- Choose coordinating colors – If you will be using your engagement photos as decor at your wedding reception or as part of your guest book, try to match your wedding color scheme to your engagement outfits for consistency. Or choose 2-3 colors from a room where you will be hanging prints of your engagement photos to build your color palette.
- Don’t like those color options or want something totally different for one of your outfit options? Look for one bright, bold accent color and pair it with neutrals.
- Accessorize – don’t be afraid to spice your outfit up with a statement necklace, a scarf, cardigan, earrings; for the fellas – a tie, bow tie, or sports jacket. Not only do layers create visual interest in photographs, but pieces can easily be removed to change the entire appearance of the outfit without a full wardrobe change.
- If your fiance doesn’t want to get too dressy up,you can have him pair a sports jacket with jeans for the more dressed-up look.
- Treat Yo’ Self – Go get a manicure, we’ll be taking photos that show off your beautiful engagement ring so you’ll want your hands to look their best. While you’re at it, have your hair and makeup done professionally also. False eyelashes look AMAZING in photographs.
- Whatever you do, avoid the following at all cost: logos and wording on your clothing, busy patterns, and sneakers (especially since they only seem to come in neon colors these days).
For more engagement photo ideas, check out my Engagement Pinterest Board.