2017 was a very stagnant year for me. I won #1 Photographer in SWVA in Virginia Living Magazine, I should have been elated, but I feel like I have been holding my breath for a year straight. My depression and anxiety have overshadowed anything I have accomplished. When I do feel ok, I watch the atrocities going on in America and feel guilty. I have to get over the pity party and execute some of the awesome ideas I have been fleshing out on Pinterest boards and in composition notebooks for months to years.
Time to start planning for 2018… Honestly I already started planning for 2018 a month or so ago and accomplished one of my big goals already which was to create a Free Wedding Planner + Checklist. I splurged and bought The Big Picture Planner from Design Aglow and wrote down Wedding Planning Freebie as my Quarter 1, 2018 project to include creation of the PDF itself, a series of accompanying emails to help with wedding planning, marketing images, and sharing/sponsored posts on social media. Check, check, check, and check, I’ve done it all already. Only have 7 people have downloaded my Free Wedding Planner + Checklist so far, but I consider it a success - I haven’t sent it out to my newsletter yet and it only went live a couple of weeks ago. This is something that has been on my to-do list for over a year and I built it up to be some complicated and such a long, drawn out process that I thought would take me 3 months to complete and I finished it in less than 3 weeks. I’m off to a good start so I think I will set some batshit crazy goals for 2018 because why the hell not?
In 2018 I want to
- Book 35 Weddings (about twice as many as I normally photograph in a year)
- Write a Book (Maybe even 2?)
- Marketing for Wedding Photographers: I have been looking for a book that is exclusively about marketing for wedding photographers for years and haven’t found one, so now I am writing one. Sign up for my list to be notified on the progress if you want to be one of the first to take a peek.
- Making More Money for Photographers: Making photography your full time job can be extremely stressful, especially when business is slow. This one will be about creating multiple income streams to make sure you are bringing in more money with minimal extra work.
- Publish my year backlog of blog posts
- Participate in a wedding expo
- Attend 2 networking events
- I want to learn some videography… I would love recommendations on someone who will literally hold my hand throughout the process because the videos I have shot so far are complete garbage. Apparently my photo skills don’t translate over to my inability to hold a camera straight without shaking like the Blair Witch Project.
- 10% increase in social media followers across the board
- Organize and execute at least one styled shoot
- Invest in stock market [only if it crashes from this crazy high it has been on in 2017]
- Focus on my physical and mental health
- Start selling my art through this website
- Clean out my hoarder room so I have space to take photos, paint, and weave.
This is about the most laser focused my yearly goals have ever been. Weddings are the bulk of my business and the most profitable part of my business. I must control my ADHD this year and be very intentional with all of my actions.
What are you looking forward to accomplishing in 2018? Are you having trouble getting optimistic for what the future holds or eagerly anticipating turning over a new leaf?